Copper is a naturally occurring trace element in plants and animals, while Basic Copper Sulphate is not. When exposed to humans, copper may cause irritation. Crops and agriculture treated with basic copper sulphate are washed and the risk of ingestion from treated crops is small because it is primarily associated with soil sediments.

If it is used for agricultural or horticultural purposes, it may be exposed to basic copper sulphate. If absorbed through the skin or eyes, basic copper sulphate may cause burning and tingling. If contact with the eyes, it may cause itching, eczema, conjunctivitis, inflammation, effusion or corneal irritation.

If basic copper sulphate is ingested, it is only moderately toxic because it causes great irritation to the gastrointestinal tract and therefore vomiting is relatively fast. If someone consumes basic copper sulphate and does not vomit, there is a risk of poisoning with basic copper sulphate.