AOL Desktop Gold, a popular offering by AOL, refers to a new and improved version of the now obsolete AOL Desktop. Considering that it is an upgraded and up-to-date version of the older AOL desktop email software, it is equipped with the latest features and security upgrades that were missing in the previous version. These top-notch features distinguish the new AOL Desktop Gold from AOL Desktop. Let’s explore more about AOL Desktop Gold and how to fix AOL Desktop Gold won’t open issue.
Features of AOL Desktop Gold
One of the most highlighted features of this software that needs to be mentioned is the security upgrade. These security measures not only offer data privacy and protection but they also boost the functionality of the email software. AOL has spent a lot of time and effort in streamlining the program’s user interface to make it easier to use and navigate. It allows complete personalization, customization, and tailoring, as per the user’s tastes and preferences. From changing the background to fonts and colors, you can do them all in a snap with AOL Desktop Gold.
Despite being such a robust and feature-packed software, users may sometimes face issues. Some people confront AOL Desktop won’t open issue on their devices. There can be multiple reasons for this issue; however, it can be fixed easily. In this article, we will discuss why the AOL Desktop won’t open issue occurs and the steps to fix it. We will also be going through the process to download and install AOL Desktop Gold.
Reasons Behind AOL Desktop Won’t Open Error
You need to understand that issues such as AOL Desktop won’t open can arise due to multiple reasons. When you confront this issue, you need not panic. There can be several causes behind this error. Some of the most common reasons are mentioned below.
- Improper installation- At times due to incorrect or incomplete installation of AOL Desktop Gold, users may face issues while trying to open it. If the internet slows down or disconnects, then the installation may be incomplete.
- Software Conflicts- If you have an older version of AOL Desktop, then you may face trouble trying to open the newer version. To resolve software conflicts, you need to ensure that you do not have any other incompatible app installed on your computer.
- Virus Infections- Malware or viruses can cause the apps on your device to work erratically. If your device is infected, then it could be the reason for AOL Desktop not opening error.
- Hard Disk Damage- Sometimes, this software error could occur due to hardware issues such as malfunctioning or damaged hard disk drive.
- Firewall Settings- Maybe the Firewall is blocking you from opening your AOL Desktop Gold.
How to Fix AOL Desktop Won’t Open Problem
Here are some stepwise instructions to help you resolve AOL Desktop Gold not opening problem.
- Check for viruses
If you already have an antivirus tool on your computer, then use it to conduct a thorough system scan. Remove all corrupted files and detected viruses when the scan is complete. If you do not have an antivrirus software, then you should install a robust one.
- Check the system requirements
If your device does not meet the minimum requirements for AOL Gold, then the software may not open. Here are some basic requirements.
- Operating system: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and MacOS.
- Processor: 266 MHz or higher.
- Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 or more.
- Memory: 1 GB RAM and 512 MB free hard drive space.
- Remove the Conflicting Files and Software
Certain files and apps such as old AOL Desktop installer, previous AOL Gold version, etc may cause conflicts. Remove these files and software from your system. Windows users can go to Control and Panel, click on Programs, and uninstall the conflict-causing program. Mac users can go to their Dock and remove the app.
- Check the Internet Connection
Your device needs to be online in order to use AOL Desktop Gold. Move the router near your computer and see if the connection is stable. If you have wired internet connection, then check if the cords are properly connected or not.
- Update AOL Desktop Gold
While the software updates automatically, many people turn off this default setting. Updates are released to add new features and fixes for bugs. Here’s how you can update your AOL Desktop Gold
- Launch the AOL Desktop Gold app.
- Log in to your account, if needed.
- Locate the Settings option and click on it.
- Click on the ‘Update’ tab.
- You may have to go to the ‘About’ tab to find the Update option.
- Click on the Update button.
- Allow the software to get updated.
- Restart your computer.
- Check the Firewall Settings
In case the Firewall settings are preventing you from opening your AOL Desktop, then you need to turn the Firewall off. Disable the system Firewall temporarily and see if the AOL Desktop won’t open issue is resolved or not.
- Reinstall AOL Desktop Gold
- Completely remove and uninstall AOL Desktop Gold from your computer.
- Delete its previously downloaded installer file as well.
- Now, go to the official AOL website to download AOL Desktop Gold.
- When you have downloaded the installer file, you need to run it by double-clicking on it.
- Follow the prompts on the screen and reinstall the software.
- When the process is over, restart your device.
How to Download AOL Desktop Gold?
There are three ways to download AOL Gold.
If you have a membership for AOL Advantage Plan
Those who have the membership for AOL Advantage Plan need to shell out extra for the AOL Desktop Gold subscription. The AOL Gold subscription is included in their Advantage Plan. Here are the steps you need to follow for downloading AOL Gold, provided you are a member of the AOL Advantage plan.
- Access the official AOL site on your computer.
- Enter your AOL account email and password to sign in.
- Click on the My Benefits tab.
- On the next screen, click on All Products.
- Select AOL Desktop Gold from the list of products.
- Click on Download Now given at the center.
- When the prompt comes, click on Save.
If you are a trial user of AOL Desktop Gold
Like most premium products, AOL Gold offers a free trial version as well. Users can sign up for a free thirty-day trial of AOL Desktop Gold. Once the period ends, they can either continue by paying the subscription or cancel it.
- Open any internet browser.
- Open the AOL official website.
- Log in to your AOL account.
- Click on My Account.
- Select the My Services option.
- Click on Subscriptions.
- Locate AOL Desktop Gold.
- Click on Get Started.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download AOL Desktop Gold.
If you have a paid subscription to AOL Desktop Gold
The process of downloading AOL Desktop Gold for those who have a live subscription is pretty easy. Here are the steps for downloading AOL Gold on your device. Make sure that your subscription has not expired.
- In an updated web browser, open the AOL website.
- Sign in to your account.
- Go to the My Account page.
- Click on My Services and then click on Subscriptions.
- Find the AOL Desktop Gold option.
- Hit the Get Started button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and download AOL Gold.
If you have the download link in AOL confirmation email
Some people get the download link for AOL Gold via email. If you subscribed for the service during the sign up process, then the download link will be present in the account sign up confirmation email. Simply open that message and click on the link to download AOL Desktop Gold. The detailed instructions are provided below.
- To get started, open the AOL website.
- Press on Log In.
- Type the email and password in the concerning fields.
- Click on the Log In button.
- Open your inbox and find a message whose subject reads- Get Started with AOL Desktop Gold.
- Now, open that email.
- Click on the download link given in it.
- Save the file wherever you want by clicking on the Save button.
- Follow the instructions that display on the screen.
How to Install AOL Desktop Gold on Windows?
If you have a computer running Windows OD, then these are the steps that must be followed.
- Make sure your device is online and the internet connection is stable.
- Click on the File Explorer from the toolbar.
- Access the Downloads folder on your device.
- Locate the AOL Desktop Gold file.
- Double-click on it.
- Once you get the prompt, hit the Run button.
- In the UAC prompt, hit the Yes button to give access.
- When the prompt comes, click on Install Now.
- Follow the guidelines on the screen.
- Wait for the installation to get over.
- Click on Close.
- Reboot your Windows computer.
How to Install AOL Desktop Gold on Mac?
If you have a device running macOS, then there are the steps you need to follow.
- Connect your computer or laptop to the internet.
- Go to your Dock.
- Click on Finder.
- Go to Downloads.
- Find the downloaded AOL Desktop Gold file.
- Double-click it for running it.
- When the pop-up appears, type your device password.
- Click on Install Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Give all the necessary permissions.
- Reboot the device when the installation is over.
When AOL Desktop does not open, you are unable to access everything that the app contains, ranging from your contacts to emails. Sometimes, the app starts but does not work. Sometimes, it refuses to open. Hopefully, by following the solutions mentioned in this article, you will be able to open your AOL Desktop Gold software. It could be a temporary glitch, or it could be a hardware problem. Whatever the reason may be, do not panic. Just follow the solutions mentioned above and regain access to your AOL software.